Tuesday, December 29, 2009

All I want for New Years is ...

... a drink. Believe it. I'm normally only a 1-2 drink girl. Love to throw down a couple with friends, but on a day-to-day basis, I could take it or leave it. I'm all talk, no tolerance. And now since I'm not drinking (just in case, you know), of course I'm craving alcohol.

To top it off: We're headed to the in-laws for a week's vacation starting New Year's Eve.

No, it's not what you think. I love my in-laws. But I once found my mother-in-law at 9 in the morning with a large coffee cup ... and a gallon of vodka. And my father-in-law retired from a national brewery after 30-plus years. These two like to booze, and they like their company to booze with them.

So how to handle the inevitable drink offer without raising suspicion?

At Christmas with my family, I accepted a glass of wine with everyone else. Took a couple of sips, and midway through dinner whispered to my husband that he needed to help me. I meant discreetly. He heard, "Chug down your glass, and grab mine."

So we've talked about how, what I really intended, was for him to discreetly drink his down a little more than mine so I could discreetly trade glasses with him.

Man, I could use a drink. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment