Thursday, December 2, 2010

Miss M goes to daycare

I got my first newsletter today. Yes, our daycare provider, who has only 3 clients (she also cares for her own two daughters), apparently puts out a newsletter. One more reason for me to like her. Here's an excerpt:
Baby M had her first day last week. She is beautiful and as sweet as can be and we are all happy to have a new little one to our group. The big kids did a great job practicing gentleness with her and she seemed to enjoy watching the kids play.
Being such an expert, I couldn't agree more that Miss M is as beautiful and sweet as can be :) And it makes me smile to think of the other girls "practicing gentleness" with her. It's like she has 4 big sisters. I guess that almost makes up for her mother going back to work.

Speaking of work, I have to admit, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I've put in a few partial days so far -- we are trying to fill that open position, and it's been nice to slowly transition back. Next week I'll do three full days, and the following week I'll be back every day.

My feelings have yo-yo'd all over the place. On one hand, it feels good to be back in the professional proverbial saddle. It feels good to shower, and put on make-up and real clothes for the day. And I feel very lucky to have found our daycare provider -- she is, so far, a perfect match, and is certainly more experienced at mothering than I am. Yet she is so respectful of how and what we want her to do, I haven't felt at all threatened by or jealous of her. Yet.

On the other hand, life in the cocoon of Miss M is pretty easy. I don't have to solve other people's petty problems. I don't have to put on make-up or tear through my closet trying to find something that fits my post-partum body. And I don't have to swallow my jealousy when another woman witnesses my baby's milestones first.

It comes down to this: When I'm here, at home, I just want to stay here. But when I'm there, it's not so bad. I have so much to be thankful for, and going to work actually helps me see that more clearly.

1 comment: