Friday, October 26, 2012

Les Misérables

"In my life, there are so many questions and answers that somehow seem wrong." So sings Jean Valjean's adopted daughter, Cosette, in the musical Les Miserables.

I've been listening to Les Mis soundtracks for weeks in preparation for finally seeing the musical live. But it only struck me this morning how much I relate to those specific lyrics.

Cosette continues: "In my life, there are times when I catch in the silence the sigh of a faraway song. And it sings of a world that I long to see. Out of reach, just a whisper away, waiting for me."

In just 10 weeks I will embark for that world that has haunted me all my life. Tickets are booked and paid for. There's no turning back.

It's been several months since I last posted to this blog. In that time, I stopped writing. Spiraled into the second-deepest depression of my life. Found a therapist. Was convinced to go on medication, something I miraculously managed to avoid until this year. Joined a class of (ironically) counselors preparing to travel to Taiwan. Started writing again. And was invited to accompany the shrinks to Taiwan in January.

Over the next few days, I'll post the journal entries I've kept private until now. And I hope to be brave enough to keep posting here as an outlet and a way to share my journey with others who may be going through the same thing. It's been selfish of me to devour other people's stories and be so unwilling to share my own. This blog is my inspiration. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment