Friday, March 19, 2010

Breaking the big news to the boss

So, this was the part of getting pregnant I dreaded the most. You would think I should have been afraid of morning sickness, the actual act of getting this thing out, sleepless nights, explosive diarrhea, the terrible twos, the teenage years ... No, my only fear while TTC - besides failure - was having to tell my boss we succeeded.

Last Monday was the Big Day. I armed myself with a two-page document outlining who, how and what could be covered by other staffers while I was out. I was prepared for a barrage of questions, tears of disappointment (or congratulation), a major freakout ... And it went something like this:

Me: "I have some news. I'm pregnant. But don't worry, here's my plan for how everything will be taken care of while I'm gone for 12 weeks this fall."

Boss: ...

Office manager: "Congratulations!"

Me: "Thanks!"

Boss: ...


Yeah. That was pretty much it, as far as I can remember. Can you say anticlimactic?

Later, I found out she was totally shocked. She really had no idea (though for weeks leading up to the announcement I was just sure she knew ... I mean, I spent a week and a half traveling with her, you'd think a person would notice I wasn't acting normal).

So, now that that's over, I'm free to obsess over how the hell I'm supposed to get this thing out and survive the sleepless nights, explosive diarrhea, terrible twos and, god help us both, teenage years.

Damn if this isn't one doodle that can't be undid.

No comments:

Post a Comment